Why SERVPRO should be your restoration company
Who is the best company to clean up this mess? SERVPRO!
Catastrophes never happen at an opportune time. Your cat knocks over a candle, setting your curtains ablaze leading to fire and smoke damage. An unseen pipe joint in your bathroom wall bursts, unleashing gallons of water throughout your house. A leaky hose under your kitchen sink gradually soaks your cabinet, leading to a major mold issue.
In that moment of panic after the fire is extinguished, the water flow is stopped and the mold is discovered, the next decision is, “who is going to get this fixed and make my disaster "Like it never even happened." so I can get back to life as normal?”
The first thing you want is someone who can be contacted at any time of the day to make sure your problem is addressed immediately. SERVPRO follows the 1-4-8 guidelines of arranging service in less than an hour of receiving your call. And in less than four hours, a SERVPRO technician will be on-site to start the mitigation services (if emergency services are necessary). And in less than eight business hours, your insurance adjuster will be given a verbal briefing as to the scope of your project. The faster a disaster is addressed, the quicker it can be restored and less damage will occur.
With more than 1,700 franchises nation-wide, SERVPRO has been in the mitigation business for more than 50 years and has the knowledge, equipment and manpower to tackle any size project. SERVPRO of Gainesville West-Alachua County West always has a crew on standby and, if needed, we can attain more boots on the ground depending on the size of the disaster. Remember, this is the same restoration company that not only handles hurricanes and other inclement weather damage, but we are also the ones who were called when the Pentagon was attacked on 9-11. We have also worked on several military bases, for Universal Studios, Disneyworld, NASA and Coca Cola.
SERVPRO trains its technicians in how to best handle every situation, to use the most up-to-date equipment and restore your home or business quickly and efficiently. We will keep you informed every step of the way by providing electronic file documentation to both you and your insurance adjuster that includes the job estimate, cause of loss and proof of results.
Halloween is more than just candy and tricks, It’s the start of fire season.
Halloween fires are no trick.
For many, the spooky holiday of Halloween is their favorite time of year. It’s the beginning of fall weather and pumpkin spice scents waft through the air of many homes and businesses. It is also the start of fire season, but did you know that the Halloween holiday itself has increased fire incidences?
A data snapshot done by the U.S. Fire Administration between the years of 2014 through 2016 plainly shows the increase of these fires. The average number of fatalities and injuries were slightly higher than the same loss measures for all other fires as well as the average dollar loss per Halloween fires were also slightly higher than non-Halloween fires.
Loss measure Halloween fires Non-Halloween fires
Fatalities/1,000 fires 2.7 2.3
Injuries/1,000 fires 11.4 9.9
Dollar loss/fire $10,580 $9,870
Source: National Fire Incident Reporting System (NFIRS) 5.0.
Statistics also show that most Halloween fires occur late afternoon into early evening. This can mean that while you are out with the rest of the Trick or Treaters and you do have a fire, you may not be the first to know. This doesn’t mean that you still can’t be prepared. Make sure that you have the number for SERVPRO of Alachua County West programmed in your phone along with your local fire department because we are “faster to any size disaster.”
Water loss can happen well before you even get your doors open for business.
Commercial Water Damage
New construction can be an exciting time for your business, but can also be stressful. Are you prepared to protect your investment well before your doors open for business? Insurance loss data over the past 10 years has shown that water damage has become the leading cause of Builder’s Risk claims. Water intrusion, which usually results from weather or external sources of water entering through the building envelope and water escape are usually the two main sources of water damage. Water escape usually comes from installing, testing, and installment failure of water sources in the building’s internal systems. Some examples of water escape during construction are:
- Domestic water distribution system and fixtures
- Roof drains and storm drain leaders (piping)
- Sanitary sewer system
- HVAC fluid systems (chilled water or refrigerant piping)
- Fire suppression risers and piping
In addition to the “system” sources of water above, the following trades may also create potential sources of water escape:
- Spray fireproofing (water for mixing)
- Interior masonry (water for mortar mixing and wet saw)
- Flooring and tile (water for wet saw and mixing grout)
- Painting and wallcovering (paint, water for mixing and application)
- Swimming pool, spa, and stucco (water for mixing materials and filling the pool)
- Hoses used to convey water
- Improper installation of plumbing, appliances, and fixtures
While, some water losses cannot be prevented, such as Mother Nature not cooperating with your construction schedule, most can be. Preparation is key to preventing water damage, and in cases where accidents happen, you should have a plan in place of how to respond to the emergency in order to mitigate and minimize possible damage quickly. SERVPRO is leading the industry not only in response time, but also foremost in knowledge and tools in the science of drying. Don’t trust your business to anyone else! Contact SERVPRO as part of your construction plan and be ready in case disaster strikes.
As we observe National Hurricane Preparedness Week, we are reminded of “Why SERVPRO”.
Just one forecast for the 2019 hurricane season.
National Hurricane Preparedness Week is May 5th through May 11th in 2019. This is just another national holiday to remind home and business owners why SERVPRO of Alachua County West should be in their Hurricane preparation plans.
Did you know?
- The hurricane season of 2017 broke several records, as 17 tropical storms formed in the Atlantic Basin, with ten of these becoming hurricanes. Six hurricanes became major storms, Category 3 and above—Harvey, Irma, Jose, Lee, Maria and Ophelia.
- Two of these hurricanes, Irma and Maria, reached Category 5 strength.
- The 2017 Atlantic hurricane season was the first time three Category 4 hurricanes (Harvey, Irma and Maria) made landfall in the United States and its territories in one year.
- The year 2017 has 3 of the 10 costliest hurricanes in a 10 year cycle, Maria #2, Irma #3, and Harvey #4. These figures do not include Hurricanes Florence or Michael of 2018 because the numbers are still preliminary at best.
- Florida has been affected by 6 out of 10 of the most costly hurricanes as of 2017, more than any other state.
So what does this have to do with “Why SERVPRO”?
- SERVPRO is the largest restoration company in the world with over 1700 franchises to date. That’s more than any other restoration company.
- SERVPRO has dedicated storm teams located in specific regions in the U.S. These teams, coordinate hundreds of franchises in affected areas and a fast response time to any disaster.
- SERVPRO has their own state of the art software, as well as years of experience in the restoration industry which puts us a step above out completion.
- SERVPRO franchises are locally owned and operated which means we are not just a business operating in your area, we are also your neighbor.
Now you know just a few of the reasons why you need to have SERVPRO of Alachua County West’s number handy when preparing for the new hurricane season. We’re not just a name you can trust, but a family you can trust.
April is Stress Awareness Month which is why you should call SERVPRO of Alachua County West when you have water damage.
Don't stress during National Stress Awareness Month... Call SERVPRO of Alachua County West!
Stress, in our busy society, is something we all have experienced, sometimes on a day to day basis. There are certain situations in life that are going to be stressful under any circumstances, such as walking into your home or business only to discover 2 inches of water covering the floor of several rooms. In this case, there is nothing you can do to stop that feeling of stress starting to well up deep in your gut, but the decisions you make in the next few minutes can make a huge difference in the level of stress you will experience over the next several days or weeks to come. The best decision you can make for yourself in any home or office water damage emergency is to call SERVPRO of Alachua County West first, and here are just some of the reasons why:
- SERVPRO is the largest restoration company in the world! So, not only can we handle the smallest of detailed jobs and treat you like family, we can also handle any the largest of water losses you could imagine.
- Unlike many restoration companies, we have worked hard at understanding the ins and outs of the insurance industry and pride ourselves on having built relationships with many of the companies that service our customers.
- We use industry standard estimation software that most insurance companies use, which is based upon the zip code that you live in. This means that not only is our pricing fair, but it also means that it is consistent and it makes the claims and billing process smooth and easy to navigate for all parties involved.
- All SERVPRO of Alachua County West employees are level II background checked and drug tested, so your home, business, and property is safe in our hands.
- We have industry superior time-tested training for all of our employees compliant with IICRC standards as well as many phases of additional SERVPRO training that has been developed over 50 years of service across the United States.
- Our technicians use state of the art software developed by SERVPRO according to IICRC standards that keeps all job information for the course of the job at their fingertips.
There are many, many more reasons that SERVPRO of Alachua County West should be the first person you call in a water emergency, but the most important reason is we can make a very stressful situation a little less stressful by helping you navigate every aspect of your loss from initial damage, to mitigation, to insurance paperwork, communicating with your adjusters and restoring your home to normal.
Your Business & Water Damage
Big or Small, we can handle it ALL
When Water Damage occurs in a business, the biggest concern is how quickly can I open back up or run normal? SERVPRO of Alachua County West has trained technicians that are ready 24-7, 365 days a year to respond immediately to water damage at your business. We have the experience, expertise and training to restore your business as quickly as possible. Our technicians closely monitor and document the drying process to ensure your property is back to normal.
Call SERVPRO of Alachua County West at 352-374-6589 for Water Damage
Top 5 Causes of Water Damage in a Business
- SPRINKLER SYSTEM – Many commercial businesses have sprinkler systems. Of course, these are great when you have a fire damage, but not so great when they malfunction. Always inspect for damage have a set time each year for inspection. Replace any questionable sprinklers.
- PLUMBING PROBLEMS – Pipes are susceptible to clogs, backups, leaks or damages. Look for signs of rust, staining, cracking or bulging. Leak detection systems are valuable and inexpensive, and an alarm will sound if it senses anything. If your building is in a low temperature area, it is best to insulate your pipes.
- BROKEN APPLICANCES OR EQUIPMENT – If your business has equipment that uses water and has tubes, pipes, gaskets or filters, these should be checked regularly. Replace water lines regularly, re-caulk and reseal.
- ROOF LEAKS – Check your roofing regularly. If water is puddling like a pond, then there may be a drainage problem. Every inch of water weighs in around five pounds.
- FLOODS/MOTHER NATURE – Natural disasters like hurricanes, severe thunderstorms and flash flooding can do major damage to your business. Of course, we cannot control Mother Nature, but we can be ready for it. Keeping gutters clean, having barriers if needed and storing important files or electronics at higher levels can help.
There is no way to completely eliminate all risks of water damage to your business, but having common practices and a good maintenance checking system in place can help reduce your risks. And if you do have a water damage call the professionals to help, SERVPRO of Alachua County West at 352-374-6589
Water damage incidents can add up. Consider some of the following facts:
- Between 2014 and 2015, more than 205,000 claims were filed for water damage at businesses across the country.
- The states with the highest incidence of water damage are California, Florida, Texas and New York, with Pennsylvania and Georgia close behind.
- An average, water damage from a sink will run $7,000 for each instance.
- For toilets, that number ranges between $2,000 and $10,000.
- Leaking roofs are the most common cause of water damage, especially in areas that experience freezing weather, strong winds or hail.
Be Prepared for Flooding
SERVPRO is prepared
Storm flooding is more prevalent now than ever. The year 2016 saw more floods in the U.S than any other year on record. With extreme rainfall comes the higher potential for flooding in your home or business. If you do have a flood situation, SERVPRO of Alachua County West will be there to help.
We are the drying experts and available 24 hours a day - 7 days a week - 365 days a year.
There are ways to protect your home/business from flooding. Here are some tips to get you started.
KNOW YOUR AREA
Be aware of your surroundings. There are certain places that are more of a flood risk than others.
- Coastal Areas
- Sewer Systems nearby
- Next to a body of Water
- Property at the Bottom of Hill
There are ways to help prepare your property for a flood. You can make modifications.
- Installing check valves to help prevent sewer lines from flooding your drains
- Installing sump pumps with a battery backup
- Elevating valuable equipment (furnaces, electric panels, water heaters etc)
KNOW YOUR TERMS
Do you know the difference between a Flood Watch and a Flood Warning?
Flood Watch means flooding is possible in your area. Be prepared to evacuate.
Flood Warning means a flood is happening or about to happen. EVACUATE immediately if instructed.
SERVPRO of Alachua County West is here for all your restoration needs. We can’t stop the flood from happening, but when we are done cleaning it will be “Like it never even happened”
Call 352-374-6589 for more information or to schedule
Tips for Fire Damage Restoration
With SERVPRO, Fire Damage can be cleaned
Top 5 Tips for Fire Damage Restoration
Fire Damage Restoration work is a tough job. People call SERVPRO of Alachua County West asking for advice on how to clean up after a fire. Below are five tips that we recommend to people that call us.
Until the home or business is restored, limit activity and movement in the affected areas. Soot particles can do more damage, by tracking or touching. Protect items that are not damaged by covering with towels, blankets, etc. Turn A/C off and replace filters.
- REMOVE SMOKE DAMAGE
With any fire, you may have damage to your walls, wallpaper or ceilings. If the smoke damage is not too serious, it can be cleaned with detergents. With a grease fire, that is a little more complicated. Always start less aggressive and increase that agitation slowly. After thorough cleaning, most likely you will need to paint.
- REMOVE MOLD & MILDEW
Another issue with fire damage is the water that is used to put the fire out. Mold and mildew can grow because of the water. Mold should be removed by a licensed Mold Remediator, to be sure your home or business is safe to reside in.
- REPAIR AND/OR DRY OUR FLOORING
If the flooring is not damaged, the water needs to be extracted and pad removed from carpeted areas. Water can travel underneath vinyl and wood flooring. This will also need to be checked for moisture and addressed.
- CLEAN CLOTHING
Make sure not to smear soot on clothing. It is recommended that your clothing be taken to a professional dry-cleaning company. Ask if they have experience in post fire laundry.
- CLEAN DISHES
Even with dishes inside a cabinet, they can be affected. An easy and quick way to clean dishes is to get a large Rubbermaid tote and fill with cleaning solution of bleach and water. Let the dishes soak. If you are unsure whether you will be satisfied with cleaning the dishes, just throw them out. Remember, you eat from these dishes. Rubber and wood absorbs smoke.
Fire Damage Clean-Up takes a lot of time and work. You may be better off hiring a Fire Damage Restoration Company, and that’s where SERVPRO of Alachua County West comes in.
Call us at 352-374-6589
24 hours a day – 7 days a week – 365 days a year
Storm seasons for flooding are year round, know your flood risk no matter where you live.
Historic flooding near the Omaha NE area as seen by NASA.
There are many causes of flooding, which means that any time of year, depending on the weather and where you live you are at risk for flooding. In 2016, the US saw more floods than any other year on record, and the stats for 2019 so far show that we may be at risk to break that record again. Coming out of very active Hurricane seasons over the past few years with massive storm surges along our coasts along with record breaking precipitation such as rain and snow fall in many parts of the US, especially the Midwest, we have already started the first few months with normal and record breaking flooding. The first thing you can do to prepare is know when to expect flooding based on where you live.
- Coastal areas are likely to flood between the months of June and November due to hurricane activity.
- Midwestern areas are likely to flood in the spring and summer due to heavy rains.
- Northeastern and Northwestern areas are likely to experience flooding in the spring due to ice jams on streams and rivers.
- Southwestern areas are likely to experience flooding in late summer months due to monsoons.
Your flood risk also depends on manmade and natural bodies of water around your home or business such as rivers, lakes, dams, levees and sewer systems. Get to know the area you live in and the risks for flooding before disaster strikes.
Black Water Intrusion
Black Water Damage
This is the worst classification of water intrusion and is grossly unsanitary. It could cause severe illness. Black water sources include sewer backup, flooding from rivers or streams, toilet overflow with feces, and stagnant liquid that has begun to support bacterial growth
Toilet overflows, sewage backups and other black water intrusions are more than nasty, smelly messes; these bio hazardous damages also introduce harmful microorganisms into your home, as well as the moisture necessary to support their growth.
Water contaminated with sewage backup should be considered an emergency situation and dealt with as quickly as possible. SERVPRO Franchise Professionals are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. They are water damage restoration specialists with specialized training, equipment and protective gear to safely restore your home or business.
Don’t risk your health by attempting to clean up the mess yourself, give us a call!